In April, AlphaGraphics in the Cultural District launched our “Connect the Dots” self-promotion campaign with the mailing of agTwister, a play on the classic game of Twister, with our own AlphaGraphics twist!
Many of our clients jumped in, gave the spinner a whirl, and joined us in our multi-channel marketing game. They visited their personalized URLs and gave us some great feedback on their own marketing efforts.
May has arrived, and the game continues. On the heels of the boxed game, we mailed a brochure that describes just what we mean when we say, “the multi-channel marketing game.” To our clients who responded to the first mailing, we threw in a little something extra—a set of four agTwister coasters (handy for agTwister parties, of course).
Our “Connect the Dots” message is simple. For marketing success, you’ve got to put into play four must-haves: Target, Engage, Integrate, and Measure.
It breaks down as follows…..
TARGET – Prioritize and personalize.
• Target marketing = focus.
Segmenting your list allows you to concentrate your marketing efforts and zero in on your target. 40% of your direct marketing success depends on the effectiveness of your list.
• Define customer lifetime value, and segment accordingly. Know how much each customer spends and how long they’re with you. Focus on those with the greatest value to get the biggest bang for your buck.
• Develop the relationship. Speak one-to-one with each customer by personalizing your messaging.
ENGAGE – Knock their socks off with relevancy.
• Don’t underestimate the power of a good offer. A relevant, timely offer increases response rates. In fact, 40% of your direct marketing success depends on the offer!
• Start with a big idea and great design. Add relevant images and personalized messaging through variable data. Now you’ve got the “wow” factor that engages and motivates your customer to respond.
• Remember the 40/40/20 rule: 40% List, 40% Offer, 20% Creative = Direct marketing success!
INTEGRATE – Market strategically across multiple channels.
• Most successful marketers use 3-7 touchpoints to reach a customer.
• Choose the channels that best fit your target. Skip those that don’t. It doesn’t have to be complicated—just smart!
• Follow best practices. Each channel has rules and best practices that successful marketers respect. Leverage the strengths of each channel.
• Build your brand. Speak with one voice across all channels. Be clear, cohesive, and consistent.
MEASURE – Measure total value: sales, leads, data, cultivation, brand building.
• Tracking, measuring, and reporting of results adds up to an integrated view of your customers.
• There’s value in cultivation. It’s proven to increase customer retention, engagement, and brand building.
• Put costs together with customer lifetime value and look toward what’s really important: return on investment (ROI.)
Written by Anne Flanagan,
Marketing Strategist & Creative Designer,
AlphaGraphics in the Cultural District